Monday, August 29, 2016

SERIES TWO CRISPR

The thought that genes can be edited blows my mind. All I can think about while reading this article is how a single slip up in genetic code can cause huge issues for the organism. The fact that genes will be edited and possibly stop lung cancer is incredible. But would this process only work on lung cancer? I am surprised that they aren't trying it on multiple types of cancers because maybe some cancers would be easier to treat with this gene editing. What blows my mind even more is that there is a way to edit our genes, that our genetic code could be altered. What does that mean for the future of humans? What else are we going to try and change? I hate to say it but while I was reading this article I kept thinking of Captain America. How he was this tiny little dude in the movie and then they ran all these tests and experiments on him and then he was suddenly this crazy huge and buff warrior.
What else surprises me a little bit is that we are going into human trials. Normally I feel like it takes a really long time from scientist to be allowed to test things on humans, like it is frowned upon to test on animals let alone humans. But at the same time these people have no other hope because chemotherapy is not working for them so this could be their last hope. Personally I am hoping it works because this could be a huge breakthrough for medical research everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment